Mad rush to catch a flight

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5 comments

If you had the opportunity to read my other blog post about my first flight experience, you probably thought that I would be careful when it comes to flying..well here is a funny story about catching a flight in the n'th moment..

I am sure, this cannot happen with the tight security in the post 9/11 era. This incident happened back in 1998, while I was a student in Western Michigan. I had to fly to Mead Company in Cincinnati, Ohio, to attend an interview. I am not sure if I overslept or I totally forgot about the interview. I woke up at 5.30 am for a 6.20 am flight leaving Kalamazoo airport (in Michigan). I only had enough time for a quick shower and grab my paperwork to leave for a day trip. I rushed to my car park around 5.50 am. Then came the surprise, my car windshield was covered with ice (not snow). I started scraping the ice with the ice scrapper ..and realized I would be too late if I removed all the ice and only cleared a wide enough area for me to be able to see through the windshield..I started the car (my good old Toyota Celica) at 5.55 am, grabbed the icy cold steering wheel and started driving to the airport with my heads over the steering wheel, peeping through the small visible area on the windshield! I knew I could reach the airport in 8-10 minutes, as I had made numerous trips to pick and drop off my co-students in the university. I got to the airport departure driveway around 6.05 am and rushed inside to the ticketing counter. Kalamazoo airport is a very small one, so I could do this. The friendly agent in the counter, asked for my flight details. She told me, "Luck is with you this morning, the flight is delayed by an hour", I said, "Thank god, I can make it to the interview". When she asked for my tickets, I said, "Hold on, let me park my car and come back!", which left her gaping wide in disbelief!

When I got inside the small propeller plane, the flight was further delayed, as they started deicing the propeller blades. This time, I was hoping they clear the ice completely, and not like how I cleared it on my car windshield!

5 comments: to “ Mad rush to catch a flight so far...

  • Anonymous 2/15/2009 4:59 PM
     

    haha...now is the interview part 2 of this post

    Kichi

  • Raja 2/15/2009 6:28 PM
     

    Kichi..there was a reason for me to exclude the interview details in this post ;)

    Wish I had missed the flight that morning!

  • Padma 2/15/2009 6:46 PM
     

    hi! a nice post!but how could kichi post first comment..:(...Hi to kichi!As far as travel is concerned..i am a munjaakiradhai muthanna! ...so till date i ve not experienced like urs..as kichi said, i would luv to read ur interview details in next post..;)

  • Rajendra 2/21/2009 4:46 AM
     

    Raja, good one, I liked the car parking part. I could imagine the lady's expression. By the way, would you have flown without parking the car properly?
    Keep blogging....

  • Raja 2/21/2009 10:55 AM
     

    Hi Rajendra, thanks for the comment.
    I would not have flown with the car parked that way. Minimum towing charge in the airport area is $130. I don't think I would have sacrificed that much for the sake of interview ;) I still don't know why I parked the car that way and rushed inside. May be I was too anxious to know if the flight had departed or not.