On a slippery slope

Sunday, April 19, 2009 10 comments

Donning the Ski Gear - getting ready to Ski

Having been in Michigan for almost 3 years, about 10 years ago, I should be ashamed to say that I have not skied even once in the snowy slopes of that state. There is no dearth of snow around the place where I lived. In fact, there were ski areas, within 20 miles of the place where I resided. I wanted to share with you my skiing adventures on my recent trip to Tahoe this week.  


Promptly captured occasional upright moments!
My first ever experience on a frictionless surface was on an ice skating rink in the University's skating arena. From the outside, it looked extremely easy. In fact, I was dreaming about doing some aerial spins and twists like the professional figure skaters prior to stepping inside the rink for the very first time. Then came the reality. I could hardly stand upright on the ice in spite of holding the boundary walls around the rink. I somehow managed to gain balance after a few hard falls on my cushion back (you know what I mean!). I still don't know the proper technique to skate on ice. I should probably get some tips from Shreya, who is learning proper technique from her ice skating lessons. 
Shreya getting ready for the Ski lessons
I have always been very jittery about getting on the skis due a number of scary episodes of my friends getting injured while trying to venture on the ski's. Couple of my friends had torn their ligaments while skiing. But I wanted to put Shreya on skiing course before she got the fear of falling. Moreover, she has been wanting to get out on the snow through out the winter. With spring here already, the past week was my last opportunity to get to the snow top Tahoe mountains. Shreya's schools are off for a week for spring break. I did some research about the ski resorts in the north lake Tahoe area, and decided to go skiing along with Shreya for a day. Since Advait is not allowed to ski until the age of 4, Suha decided to stay back with him and watch from the sidelines.  I got to the skiing area along with Shreya at 8 am to pick up the tickets, which included a 2 hour lesson along with equipment rental. It felt a little weird to be on those hard boots for the first time. I rented a helmet for an additional $10 charge to protect whatever little thing that is left inside my skull! 
Ski Instruction Area 
I was not ashamed to confess to each and every one of the resort staff that I am an ultra ultra beginner! One of the resort staff at the equipment rental area suggested I get on the bunny slopes and try something on my own. But the instructor had a different view altogether. She suggested I wait until the beginning of the lesson, and said most people pick too many bad habits trying to learn on their own and it gets hard to get rid of those. Shreya was on her own with  a different group for kids. My instructor was as cool as the snow. He went over the basic instructions and the various jargons used on the skis and took us to the bunny slope straight away. If being on the boots was a hard thing. Treading with skis underneath those boots, was much harder! I tried to follow those instructions, and glided for a few meters before my first fall bringing down the entire plastic fence cordoning off the instruction area! (as seen in the picture). Falling on snow was much better than the rock hard ice inside the skating rink. I asked the instructor to give me tips on how to get up after a fall. Trust me, it is not easy to get back up with those heavy skis on. 
On the Ski Lift 
I learnt how to stop making a wedge, turn in both directions,  and finally getting off the ski lift. Ski lifts ( as seen in the picture) take you to the top of the slope and drops you off to glide downhill from there. I had a very funny experience getting of the ski lift once. I was supposed to get off the lift and glide straight to the dipping area for a stop before proceeding downhill. I saw an orange cone with a small stop sign in the corner. Instead of avoiding that, I went straight towards it and banged on the orange cone bringing down the stop sign along with the cones to a total disarray. I got up with some help from the lift operator and couldn't stop laughing. My instructor said, "Raj, nothing to worry at all, as long as you are laughing!" With a few falls here and there, I was able to navigate on the smaller slopes with much better comfort. I could occasionally spot Shreya from the top of the lift and only envy her glide smoothly on the snow without falling too many times! 
I am glad I am back home in one single piece. 
Now I am looking forward to the next snow season to glide on the slopes again.

You can also read Shreya's version of our trip at

(PS - Only select readers are allowed, please send me an email if you would like access to her blog)

10 comments: to “ On a slippery slope so far...